Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A little life....

 
 
"Each day is a little life."
Schopenhauer
 
Why do we say... "my life is terrible", or "I don't know what to do with my life", or "my life is not the way I thought it would be"?
 
We are the only ones who can make it different. Why moan?
 
I remember a woman, a perfect stranger, coming and sitting next to my sister and I and my then two year old daughter, just 24 hours before my Mother died.
 
We had left the hospital for just a short time, having held long vigils there while Mum drew ever more laboured breaths, the cancer within her, slowly stealing her from us. Sitting in a local food court, we just kind of stared at each other mutely, knowing she was not with us for much longer.
 
What possessed this woman I cannot say, but she plonked herself down at our table, and opened a random conversation with 'I've had a terrible life.' She then waffled on without drawing breath about her (admittedly) sad life to that day, and waited expectantly (I presume) for us to heap sympathy upon her.
 
I was so shocked and so consumed with my own grief that I just stared at her open mouthed.
 
My sister, who can be more forward than I in some circumstances, simply said 'At least you've got your life. Our Mum is so sick, she'll probably be dead this time tomorrow', and gathered up her things and mine, looked hard at me to gather up my daughter, and we walked off without looking back.
 
I do not know or care what the womans response was.
 
But it's a lesson, isn't it.
 
Your life is today.
 
Today is all you have.
 
You can't change what's done, and you can't project yourself into the future and meddle there either.
 
Today is it.
 
Do something today that reflects the life you want.
 
Read a better book, turn off the TV, paint, write, meditate, plan, walk, eat better, love more, forgive easily, practice random acts of kindness, attend a church service, say sorry, hug someone who needs it, smile at strangers, thank someone, allow a busy Mum or frail or disabled person in front of you in the queue, volunteer, phone a long lost friend, rekindle your relationship, be kind to yourself and others, make friends with a neighbour, make a gift, pot a plant, plant a tree, grow some vegetables, love your children, apologise, write a letter, sew something, mend something, make something, make do.
 
What's stopping your from having your life today?
 
What's on your Tray of Bliss?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx